As I’ve left my teen years behind and started to reluctantly make my way into adulthood, I’ve spent a lot of time looking back over the people I’ve known in my 21 years of life. Here is my list of the 21 types of friends I’ve had in 21 years.
1. The best friend forever who you thought you’d ALWAYS be friends with until they moved away and lost all contact.
2. The friend who is actually your cousin, but your age difference of 3 months meant they just got you when no-one else did.
3. The friend who was never actually your friend. They would just try to compete with you and out-do you in everything you achieved.
4. The friend who was your complete opposite in every single way but the two of you just fit together perfectly.
5. The friend that you had that first ever sleepover with which was the best time ever… Until the next day when you’d been awake for 24 hours straight and you never wanted to see them again because they just seemed so ANNOYING (you now realise you were just tired and cranky).
6. The friend whose family you absolutely adored. You wished they could adopt you as a second child and they probably wished they could too!
7. The friend that you met because they were friends with your friend. You were jealous of them until you realised they’re actually amazing.
8. The friend who was a boy and you were SO SICK of people thinking you were dating because you’d never think of them that way.
9. The friend who decided that they didn’t want to be your friend anymore.
10. The friend that you only met once through a mutual friend. They somehow knew everything about your life, and you knew all about theirs.
11. The friend that you met on social media and you just wish you knew them in real life because you get on so well together.
12. The friend that you fell out with because they got their first ever boyfriend/girlfriend and forgot all about you. You reconnected with them 3 years later and laughed about how stupid that whole situation was.
13. The friend who was a compulsive liar and told you a new, full-on dramatic story every day. 5 years later you realised none of their stories were actually true.
14. The long-distance friend that you only speak to every 6 months but it’s like nothing’s changed when you do talk to each other.
15. The friend that became your next best friend forever (and 24/7 texting buddy) but eventually life got in the way.
16. The friend that you only met because the same creepy guy was trying to date both of you at the same time. You decided to team up and play the player at his own game.
17. The friend that you ended up falling love with and you want to spend the rest of your life with.
18. The friend that you made based on one conversation on your first day in a new place and have never spoken to again, but show mutual support via social media.
19. The friend that you had so much in common with but eventually grew apart from because sometimes common interests aren’t enough.
20. The friend that started as a coworker and eventually became one of your most trusted companions.
21. The friend that you met through a hobby and you wonder how you ever lived without them in your life.
Have you had any friends like these?